(MIDDLE EASTERN FRIED BALLS)
Pickled Peppers are best served with the Lebanese fast food falafel sandwich. If you do not have a handy pack of falafel mix, try this homemade recipe for 4 persons.
- ½ can CORTAS cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp CORTAS lemon juice substitute
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh minced parsley
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 slices french bread, torn into large pieces and soaked in cold water
- ½ tsp salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 4 whole wheat pita rounds
- Sliced tomatoes, fresh mint, parsley leaves, CORTAS pepper and tarator
Blend the garlic, onion, and parsley in a food processor or blender until finely minced. Add the chickpeas and blend until somewhat pasty. Add the lemon juice, cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper. Draine the soaked bread, and add it. Process until well mixed.Form the falafel mixture into 16 balls. Flatten each ball to form ½ inch thick patties. Dredge the patties in the flour and fry them in oil until golden brown.
Cut off a small section of each pita round and open the larger section to form a pocket. Fill each pocket with hot falafel patties, garnish with tomatoes, parsley, mint, tarator, and sprinkle with CORTAS pepper.
A readily prepared mix of CORTAS falafel is also available for you to fry and enjoy.